Friday, May 29, 2009

So is it Spicy?

This title sums up my first experiences with Ethiopian food. I like to think I'm rather daring when it comes to trying new food but I'll be the first to admit I'm a giant wuss when it comes to eating spicy food. The experience as I'll submit it to Hollywood...
Cast:
Kristen, a sarcastic foodie from Colorado, cautious about spicy food
Brandon, a sarcastic artist from Colorado, cautious about spicy food
Zach, Colorado native now living in Chicago, lover of Ethiopian food
Rachel, gal with international flair living in Chicago, loves Ethiopian food but knows none of the names of dishes.
Extra:
Friendly waiter
Scene:
Arada Restaurant.
Cast wanders hungrily down Santa Fe Blvd after taking in an art show.

Kristen:
sarcastically, "We could eat at that Ethiopian restaurant"
Zach/Rachel:
"Yeah!"
Kristen:
"uhhm ok"

Cast sits at table, reads menu
Kristen:
"What does this mean? Is this spicy? How does this work?"
Rachel:
"I don't know I just get served the stuff by my Ethiopian friends, it's good."
Brandon:
"Yeah I can't do spicy"
Zach:
"Uhm I think Berbere means spicy. I'm confused is this not family style?"
Brandon:
"Yeah Right!"
Rachel:
"It should be. I'm not that hungry"
Kristen:
"This one says mild, maybe I'll get that one"
(Yebeg Siga Alitcha, lamb stew with garlic and ginger)
Brandon:
"Oh I was going to get that one! "
Kristen:
"Fine, I'll get a different one."
Brandon:
"No, I'll get a different one."
Zach:
"No Way"
Kristen (to waiter):
Which ones are not spicy?
Waiter:
Anything that says "alitcha."
Kristen:
"Ok Brandon do you want chicken or lamb?"
Brandon:
"Chicken."
(Doro Alitcha: mild chicken with special Arada spices)
Kristen:
"Then I'll get the lamb. That waiter is really nice."
Zach:
"You lame losers, I'm getting
spicy, spicy chicken!"
Waiter:
"Are you ready to order?"

Cast orders:
Yebeg Siga Alitcha
Doro Alitcha
Doro Wot (chicken in Berbere sauce)
Yatakilt Alitcha (potatoes, carrots, cabbage and onions)
Shrio Wot (chickpeas)
Tomato Fit Fit
Tomato Salad
Yater Alitcha (yellow split peas)
Yemiser Wot (spicy lentils)

Food Arrives, family style.
Waiter:
Explains dishes, serves food

Cast uses fingers and injera (a sour, soggy bread more like an un-fried tortilla) to eat.
Brandon sneakily takes candid Iphone photo of Kristen and food.

Cast stuffs themselves, eating much more than they should
Kristen:
"That spicy chicken isn't too spicy"
Brandon:
"Speak for yourself"
Rachel:
"Well then don't try the lentils"
Kristen:
"This is really good, especially the tomato fit fit, shiro wot, and the alitcha's"
Brandon:
"My chicken was the best!"
Zach:
"Bull Shit!"
Kristen:
"I'm glad I suggested this place"
Zach:
"I'm glad I took you seriously"
End Scene.

Well, my future might not be in screenplay writing but it will include more delicious food from Arada. I have my eyes on the Awaze Tips (Beef, berbere sauce, garlic and tomatoes) now that I know I can take the heat.

1 comment: