Sunday, May 10, 2009

Today's Special: Have a Semi-Decent Day!

Do you like goat cheese and arugula omelets? How about quinoa pancakes?
Then this post isn't for you....

If your family is like my family (highly doubtful), your mother likes to be treated extra special on Mother's Day by being taken to a nice breakfast, at the neighborhood greasy spoon diner.

The Village Coffee Shop in Boulder is a family tradition. What can I say? We are classy people. What do most classy people like? Perfect, cheap hash browns, that's what. If you disagree it's because you're just posing as classy, pathetic really.

Let me break it down for you (as you are likely still having issues coming to grips with your lack of classy at the moment). It's a diner. A magical 890 square foot diner. You've got your stationary 2-tops, 4-tops, and counter seating. You also have your regular waitstaff, who I'm sure if you go often enough you'll get to know by name, a mission that my brother is trying to complete before graduation. He just wants to order "the regular," wouldn't we all....

I almost exclusively get a half order of biscuits and gravy with a side of hash browns. This is more food than I can actually eat for $4. For the sake of journalism I ventured out today. I had the Denver omelet that came with those perfect hash browns (crispy on the outside, soft inside and no wading pool of grease, well maybe just a little) and some toast ($7.50). I don't like eggs that much and I don't like green peppers that much but I really liked this Denver Omelet, so it must have been spectacular. Oh, I also had some hot chocolate the kind that comes with a tower of Redi-Whip on top, yum.

When you go (as soon as you get over yourself you arugula snob), if you go on a weekend expect to wait in a line. Don't fret it moves very quickly, especially if you stare at the people eating through the window. Expect to have a cheap, fast and lovely breakfast. Finally and MOST IMPORTANTLY tell the waitress if you or other members of your party are visiting for the first time. They likely won't ask but if you volunteer the information, you'll get a special surprise.

1 comment:

  1. Talking about Biscuits and Gravy has ruined my day. Yes, that's right, I hold Biscuits and Gravy in such high regard, I always capitalize them when referring to them. Like God. Or Jesus.

    So believe me when I say They are the way, the truth and the life.

    ReplyDelete