Wednesday, May 6, 2009

My first foray into DC

You might know that I have a twin brother. You might not. But what you should know is that he, like I, is a recovering fat dude.

And we still love to eat.

So I got called off the bench to pinch hit in Washington DC at the beginning of this week. Andrew recently moved to DC, and I haven't seen him since. It was a family reunion of sorts, the kind that only happens over beers (lots. and LOTS. of beers) and Irish Whiskey.

Ever heard of Powers? It's good stuff, and I've never had it. My brother's roommate, though, swears by the stuff and who am I to disagree? So we drank too much of it, but it was smooth. ("It's pure pot still," Deeds would tell me later. Which is not entirely true. But it's still good.)

And we ate. Oh my, we ate.

Andrew and his fiancee, Javi, made me dinner the first night. Pollo Asado, or their version of it, which rocked my world, and various assorted veggies. As an aside, Javi squeezes lime or lemon on everything, a side effect of her South American upbringing. It's a delicious change of pace.

Night two, we kind of ate and drank our way around Chinatown. Our dinner consisted of tapas from La Tasca. Reviews on this place are mixed, and my review is a bit mixed, too. The Sangria we had, the Rebujito, was pretty good. Our tapas, various assorted ones, were hit or miss. Some I didn't really like, but two, the Vieras, scallops, and the Sollomiio de Cerdo, pork tenderloin in a rosemary cream sauce, were great. There was a shit ton of cheese on one plate - and it was good, Liz Lemon style.

We somehow (drunkenly) made our way over to RFD, or Regional Food and Drink, which is kind of THE sports bar in Chinatown. A vast assortment of beers made up for a lack of ambiance - and guess what? There was Powers there, too.

My lunches consisted of Au Bon Pain, where I had a mozzarella sandwich (meh) and Chop'd, where I had a TO DIE FOR Ceasar Salad.

My new mission is to find Powers in Denver, and as an ode to the roommate, drink the whole bottle in two nights.

2 comments:

  1. Workin' on my night cheese...

    If you haven't seen 30Rock in the past couple weeks you will miss that reference. But I couldn't resist a Liz Lemon quote.

    Nice tip on the lemon/lime squeezes. Maybe now I can stop eating so much salt Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew Sara would beat me the the "night cheese" reference, damn.

    ReplyDelete