Thursday, April 30, 2009

Wherein I admit to the cardinal sin of foodies

I don't always have time to make dinner.

What can I say? I live a jet-set life, full of adventure and interesting people. People who wear glasses unironically, places that set my soul ablaze with gastronomical delight, full of bright shiny objects to distract me from an existence which is increasingly about selling things. 

I'm rarely home. And even though I have three grocery stores within walking distance of my apartment, I've been known to do that which must not be named, from time to time.

Eat. Frozen. Dinners.

I'm constantly searching for a good frozen dinner (which I hold myself to one a week). We're not talking WW, or Hungry Man, or anything like that CRAP. Although I have been known to enjoy a Chicken Philly flatbread from Lean Cuisine. Try it. You might like it.

This is about it in the frozen food department. Which means, once a week, I have a date with one of these Chicken Philly Flatbreads and a Caesar Salad. I'm so sick of it.

So last night, I decided to drop $5 on a real frozen dinner. And fell in love.

Kashi's Sweet and Sour Chicken is actually really good. Don't hate. Try it. You might like it. The brown rice is savory and mixes extremely well with the S&S sauce in the package. The chicken is not dry, and the veggies taste like they actually lived in the ground at some point. It's expensive, but not more than you would likely spend on making yourself dinner or going out for a quick meal. It's better for you than eating a hamburger. And it tastes great.

2 comments:

  1. I eat a lot of Marie Calendar's pot pies. Now I know I don't have to be ashamed any more.

    Thank you for bringing equal rights to the frozen food dept.

    What do we want? FROZEN DINNERS!

    When do we want them? NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm pot pies. Marie is certainly a master of the subzero sustenance.

    ReplyDelete